Galbally 2 Charleville AFC 4

Saturday afternoon saw our U16 boys travel to Galbally for a cup semi final match played against the backdrop of the Galtee Mountains. Due to previously cancelled matches this was the first time both sides had met and so we were unaware of the challenge that lay before us.

The game started frantically with a number of strong challenges going in and a few chances created for both sides.
In the 10th min Kristian O’Gorman threaded a lovely ball through the Galbally defence from the middle of the pitch for Chris Donovan to run onto and calmly finish first time into the corner. Galbally didn’t take long to hit back and in the 17th min they scored from a corner with a header at the back post from two yards out. Showing strong character Charleville got back in front in the 23rd min when a corner from Kristian O’Gorman landed in the middle of the 6 yard box, where a header from Jack Hogan produce an excellent save by Galbally’s goal keeper. From the rebound Tristan Begley’s shot took a deflection into the path of Chris Donovan who rifled the ball into the roof of the net from close range. After going ahead Charleville looked comfortable in the lead until in the 30th min when Galbally won a penalty from a trip on the end line which they surely converted. The first half finished 2-2.

Following a rain soaked half time team talk Charleville came back out and were on top from the first minute. Our midfielders were getting on the ball a lot more and spreading the ball up to our wingers, who in turn were feeding our forward players. In the 50th min a through ball played to Chris Donovan produced a great save from the Galbally goalkeeper. Following this both teams were pretty even and cancelled each other out. We had Eoin Walsh to thank for producing 3 great saves from close range to keep us in the game. In the 85th min after the ball was cleared by Galbally from a corner Kristian O Gorman picked up the loose ball and returned it into the box where Jack Hogan was there to finish to the net with a header. 2-3 to Charleville.
As the game was in the dying moments Galbally threw everything they had at the Charleville midfield and defence but both lines stood strong and cleared any danger. In the 90th min Charlevillle added a 4th goal when on the counter attack a ball out of midfield saw Jack Noonan attacking Galbally’s defence down the left wing. Jack’s shot ended up in the net after the keeper spilled the slippy ball. As Galbally pressed to get back into the match in injury time our defence stood strong. Soon after the referee blew his whistle for full time.

A well earned win by our young men sees us through to the cup final.

Team: Eoin Walsh, Sean Bresnan, Cian O Flynn, Rory Buckley, Jack Hogan, Daniel Donovan, Ryan Carleton, Kristian O Gorman, Jack Jones, Tristan Begley, Chris Donovan, Dylan Barrett, Jack Noonan, Jason Daly, Billy Kiely.